What is it like to be living in a village? What are the pros and cons?
You will hear five short extracts in which different people are talking about living in a village. Each extract has two questions. For questions 25-34, choose the correct answer A, B or C.
You will hear the recording twice.
25 What does the first speaker like about living in a village?
A the friendly people
B the outdoor activities
C the peaceful atmosphere
26 She would prefer a bus service which
A the villagers would be able to organise themselves.
B would provide daily access to the town.
C would be used for short trips within the village.
27. The second speaker thinks small local businesses are declining because
A rural crafts are no longer in demand.
B local property is getting too expensive.
C the local work force is not skilled enough.
- What does he think the villagers should do to bring more work to the area?
A use their own savings to set up new businesses
B wait for the state to create jobs for the unemployed
C look for public money to supplement investment
- What does the third speaker think about shopping by computer?
A It might prove a useful development.
B It might be hard to adapt to it.
C It might make an amusing change.
- She feels the government should
A lower petrol prices for rural areas.
B expand the existing public transport service.
C develop new transport systems.
- What does the fourth speaker think about working at home?
A It’s an opportunity to make new contacts.
B It saves him the daily journey.
C It provides him with useful leisure time.
- Who does he think should construct the village sports facility?
A the local council
B the villagers themselves
C a group of local teenagers
- What does the fifth speaker regret?
A moving to the countryside
B losing a source of income
C not supporting the local amenities
- What aspect of village life would she like to be involved in?
A improving public transport
B supplying necessities
C helping with education
25-C 26-A 27-B 28-C 29-B 30-A 31-B 32-B 33-C 34-B